Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Book Review of Parenting with Love and Logic


I have been going through “Parenting with Love and Logic” for a while now. I must admit, when I first got the book, I was afraid it was going to be one of those feel good books or a new parenting trend that would be rendered useless in a couple of years. However, in this case I was pleasantly surprised.

“Parenting with Love and Logic” bases parenting around allowing your children the opportunity to make mistakes and then learn to deal with the consequences. As parents we are constantly directing (or re-directing), our children even in the minutia of daily life such as, “Put on a coat, it is cold outside” or “Tie your show before you fall”. Cline and Faye advocate giving your children information but then allowing them to make the choice. A typical example of their practice would be a parent informing the child that it is cold out and suggesting that they wear a jacket then allow the child to go outside or to school without the jacket if the child chooses. If the child gets cold, so be it. They will be more likely to remember or heed your warning next time.

My favorite aspects of the book are the example conversations that are given between parent and child to illustrate the author’s practice and advice. I found them to be practical and ‘real life”. I have employed several statements during family conversations that were used in the book. Topics and sample conversations are given on a variety of situations such as homework, whining, sibling rivalry, etc.

I highly recommend this book to any parent at any stage of parenting. The practices discussed here can be used with a toddler, grades-school child and teen. If you have read this book, let me know your thoughts on it too!!!

4 comments:

Lindy said...

This past Monday one of my blogging friends recommended that I read this exact book! I definitely think that I am going to have to read it now. Thanks.

Michele said...

I have friends who use this and the LOVE it!!

My name is Kristie said...

I have been slowly working my way through Parenting Teens with Love and Logic. Very good information there.

Kristie

Sweet 'n Sassy Baby said...

Hmm guess I will have to actually read it! My mother-in-law gave it to me so I wasn't so sure about it. Ha! I think I'll get it out of the closet tonight!